The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a voluntary recall for Dream on Me full-size and portable drop-side cribs.
Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
About 22, 000 units have been sold at Toys R Us, Walmart and Target stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com. The full-size cribs were sold from January 2006 to December 2009 for about $200. The portable cribs were sold from September 2007 to December 2009 for about $150.
* Full-Size Cribs: The drop-side rail hardware can break or fail, allowing the drop side to detach from the crib. When the drop-side rail partially detaches, it creates a space between the drop side and the crib mattress. An infant or toddler’s body can become entrapped in the space, which can lead to strangulation and/or suffocation. A child can also fall out of the crib.
* Portable Cribs: The drop-side rail hardware can break or fail, allowing the drop side to detach from the crib or fall unexpectedly. In addition, the portable crib mattress support hardware and the drop-side release latch can break easily, and the slats can loosen or break and detach from the crib. Children can also cut themselves on exposed hardware inside the cribs.
Incidents/Injuries: CPSC and the firm know of 69 reports of incidents involving these cribs. A 1-year-old boy sustained a scratch to the nose when he became trapped between the mattress support and side rail of his portable crib. An 8-month-old girl sustained a minor injury on her head from exposed plastic hardware inside the portable crib.
Description: The cribs are drop-side wooden cribs, painted or stained in black, cherry, dark brown, natural, white, and pink.
* Full-Size Cribs: Models 613, 615, 616, 617, 619, 628, and 639 are included in this recall. The model number and “Dream on Me Inc.” are printed on a label located on the inside of one of the end panels. The label lists a manufacture date between January 2006 and December 2009.
* Portable Cribs: The cribs are smaller than full-size cribs and the ends fold in to facilitate portability. Model numbers 621, 625 and 627 are included in this recall. The model number and “Dream on Me Inc.” are printed on a label located on the mattress board. The label lists a manufacture date between August 2007 and February 2009.
The cribs are manufactured in: China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using these cribs and contact the company.
* Full-Size Cribs: Consumers will be given a free kit that will immobilize the drop side. Kits will be available beginning June 30, 2011.
* Portable Cribs: Consumers can receive a free replacement portable crib with fixed sides. Replacement cribs will be available in mid-July 2011.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact the firm toll-free at (877) 201-4317 between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at www.dreamonme.com